The minorities in Austria will participate in the European citizens’ initiative23.04.2013
At the FUEN Congress, which will take place in June in Brixen, South Tyrol, the European citizens’ initiative will be focused on.
Under the umbrella of FUEN the minorities in Europe want to seize the opportunity to use the citizens’ initiative to pressure the European Union into doing more for cultural and linguistic diversity and to strengthen the autochthonous minorities. One in every seventh European citizen belongs to an autochthonous minority or is speaking a regional or minority language.
The leader of the Ethnic Group Centre in Vienna, Hubert Mikel, emphasised the importance of this new form of cooperation. “It will not be easy to collect the required number of signatures in Austria. But we will take this task seriously. The citizens’ initiative offers for us, ethnic groups in Austria, a good chance to raise awareness for our situation and to make clear that together with many other minorities in Europe, we represent a significant force that has to be taken seriously”, said Mikel.
In FUEN, the Burgenland Croats are represented by Hrvatsko kulturno drustvo u Gradiscu / the Croatian Cultural Association in Burgenland and by Hrvatski centar / the Croatian Centre in Vienna. The Carinthian Slovenes are represented as members by Narodni Svet Koroških Slovencev / Council of the Carinthian Slovenes and by Skupnost koroških Slovencev in Slovenk / Community of Carinthian Slovenes.
- The South Tyroleans and Carinthian Slovenes win the European Championship titles of the 4th EUROPEADA
- When Sorbs and Cimbrians sing the Carinthian Slovenes’ anthem – Europeada Culture Day provides many goosebump moments
- Let fair play and the best win! EUROPEADA 2022 officially opens in Carinthia
- UEFA President's message of support for EUROPEADA
- New exhibition shows the history of FUEN
- "The Europeada should write a piece of minority history"
- Education experts exchange ideas via online platform for minority education
- The Ladins in Belluno and Hungarians in Slovakia were the guests of the Minority Intergroup
- EUROPEADA 2022: Programme and match schedule are set
- "I am proud to be a Sinto" - Film about minorities in the German-Danish borderland celebrates premiere in the Minority Competence Network