The minorities in Austria will participate in the European citizens’ initiative23.04.2013
At the FUEN Congress, which will take place in June in Brixen, South Tyrol, the European citizens’ initiative will be focused on.
Under the umbrella of FUEN the minorities in Europe want to seize the opportunity to use the citizens’ initiative to pressure the European Union into doing more for cultural and linguistic diversity and to strengthen the autochthonous minorities. One in every seventh European citizen belongs to an autochthonous minority or is speaking a regional or minority language.
The leader of the Ethnic Group Centre in Vienna, Hubert Mikel, emphasised the importance of this new form of cooperation. “It will not be easy to collect the required number of signatures in Austria. But we will take this task seriously. The citizens’ initiative offers for us, ethnic groups in Austria, a good chance to raise awareness for our situation and to make clear that together with many other minorities in Europe, we represent a significant force that has to be taken seriously”, said Mikel.
In FUEN, the Burgenland Croats are represented by Hrvatsko kulturno drustvo u Gradiscu / the Croatian Cultural Association in Burgenland and by Hrvatski centar / the Croatian Centre in Vienna. The Carinthian Slovenes are represented as members by Narodni Svet Koroških Slovencev / Council of the Carinthian Slovenes and by Skupnost koroških Slovencev in Slovenk / Community of Carinthian Slovenes.
COMMUNIQUÉ DE PRESSE
- "Change must come from within and begins in the mind": Workshop collects important ideas for more gender equality
- JOB ADVERTISEMENT: Office Manager
- JOB ADVERTISEMENT: Communications Employee
- Women first – but how? FUEN workshop on equal rights in minority organisations in Vienna
- These are the 14 venues for EUROPEADA 2024
- From existential hardship to the right to minority education - AGSM annual meeting in Zagreb reveals serious contrasts
- 32nd AGDM Conference: political impetus, networking and exchange
- FUEN: The new Ukrainian Law on National Minorities does not offer an adequate solution to the requests of the national minorities
- Turkic minorities from the Balkans to the Caucasus demonstrated cooperation and solidarity at the meetings in Western Thrace
- Turkic minorities and communities gather in Western Thrace