The minorities in Austria will participate in the European citizens’ initiative23.04.2013
At the FUEN Congress, which will take place in June in Brixen, South Tyrol, the European citizens’ initiative will be focused on.
Under the umbrella of FUEN the minorities in Europe want to seize the opportunity to use the citizens’ initiative to pressure the European Union into doing more for cultural and linguistic diversity and to strengthen the autochthonous minorities. One in every seventh European citizen belongs to an autochthonous minority or is speaking a regional or minority language.
The leader of the Ethnic Group Centre in Vienna, Hubert Mikel, emphasised the importance of this new form of cooperation. “It will not be easy to collect the required number of signatures in Austria. But we will take this task seriously. The citizens’ initiative offers for us, ethnic groups in Austria, a good chance to raise awareness for our situation and to make clear that together with many other minorities in Europe, we represent a significant force that has to be taken seriously”, said Mikel.
In FUEN, the Burgenland Croats are represented by Hrvatsko kulturno drustvo u Gradiscu / the Croatian Cultural Association in Burgenland and by Hrvatski centar / the Croatian Centre in Vienna. The Carinthian Slovenes are represented as members by Narodni Svet Koroških Slovencev / Council of the Carinthian Slovenes and by Skupnost koroških Slovencev in Slovenk / Community of Carinthian Slovenes.
- From the Hofburg to the Three-Country Corner - the annual meeting of the Slavic minorities at the Burgenland Croats in Austria
- Minority language promotion projects in practice and on location
- How do minorities live in large metropolises? Slavic communities meet in Vienna
- Communities between true cultural tourism and clumsy marketing gimmick
- Opening of the Forum of European Regions in Ireland: Language means money
- The quest for minority rights in the EU continues
- German minorities at the heart of German minority policy: AGDM Annual Conference starts today in Berlin
- EUROPEADA 2024: Fire mindretal i det tysk-danske grænseland sætter sejl til fodboldbegivenheden "Between the Seas"
- When new worlds open up - WG Education's annual conference provided inspiration and exciting perspectives
- AGSM members to meet in Vienna and Burgenland