The German Bundestag backs EUROPEADA: 250,000 euros in funding for the European Minority Football Championship 202424.10.2023
Our efforts and the commitment of numerous politicians in the Bundestag, who have an open ear for minorities, have paid off: last week, the Budget Committee of the German Bundestag agreed to fund EUROPEADA 2024 with 250,000 euros. This is an important milestone for the financing of the major sporting event.
"EUROPEADA is the celebration of sport and minorities, fair play and diversity. We are delighted and grateful for the decision, which shows that the unique importance of EUROPEADA is recognised," says FUEN President Loránt Vincze. "This decision will give FUEN and the local organisers – the four autochthonous minorities in the German-Danish border region – the financial stability and flexibility they need to organise another successful edition of the European Minority Football Championship in 2024."
German Vice-Chancellor Robert Habeck, patron of the tournament, also expressed his delight at the successful negotiations: "Our efforts to secure federal funding for EUROPEADA 2024 have paid off. A great success. Now I am looking forward to next year's tournament even more."
EUROPEADA will take place from 28 June to 7 July 2024 under the motto "between the seas" in the German-Danish border region. 27 men's and nine women's teams will then play for the title – parallel to the "big" UEFA European Football Championship in Germany – at a total of 13 venues in Denmark and Germany, including Flensburg/Flensborg, Sønderborg/Sonderburg, Tönning/Tønning and Eckernförde/Egernførde. The Danish minority in Germany, the German minority in Denmark as well as the Sinti and Roma and the Frisian minority in Schleswig-Holstein make up the quartet of hosts.
In addition, the budget committee of the German Bundestag has decided to stop a number of savings for minorities and the regional language Low German that were planned in this year's budget. Specific cuts for FUEN and the minority research centre ECMI were also withdrawn.
FUEN is the founder and coordinator of the tournament and organises EUROPEADA together with the local organisers. Previously, the European Minority Football Championship was held in Graubünden/Switzerland (2008), Lausitz/Germany (2012), South Tyrol/Italy (2016) and Carinthia/Koroška, Austria (2022). The tournament is a major sporting event that combines fair competition and the excitement of a sports festival with the matters of the autochthonous, national minorities.
Further information about EUROPEADA at www.europeada.eu
Credit title photo: Pixabay
- "Change must come from within and begins in the mind": Workshop collects important ideas for more gender equality
- JOB ADVERTISEMENT: Office Manager
- JOB ADVERTISEMENT: Communications Employee
- Women first – but how? FUEN workshop on equal rights in minority organisations in Vienna
- These are the 14 venues for EUROPEADA 2024
- From existential hardship to the right to minority education - AGSM annual meeting in Zagreb reveals serious contrasts
- 32nd AGDM Conference: political impetus, networking and exchange
- FUEN: The new Ukrainian Law on National Minorities does not offer an adequate solution to the requests of the national minorities
- Turkic minorities from the Balkans to the Caucasus demonstrated cooperation and solidarity at the meetings in Western Thrace
- Turkic minorities and communities gather in Western Thrace