The German Bundestag backs EUROPEADA: 250,000 euros in funding for the European Minority Football Championship 202424.10.2023
Our efforts and the commitment of numerous politicians in the Bundestag, who have an open ear for minorities, have paid off: last week, the Budget Committee of the German Bundestag agreed to fund EUROPEADA 2024 with 250,000 euros. This is an important milestone for the financing of the major sporting event.
"EUROPEADA is the celebration of sport and minorities, fair play and diversity. We are delighted and grateful for the decision, which shows that the unique importance of EUROPEADA is recognised," says FUEN President Loránt Vincze. "This decision will give FUEN and the local organisers – the four autochthonous minorities in the German-Danish border region – the financial stability and flexibility they need to organise another successful edition of the European Minority Football Championship in 2024."
German Vice-Chancellor Robert Habeck, patron of the tournament, also expressed his delight at the successful negotiations: "Our efforts to secure federal funding for EUROPEADA 2024 have paid off. A great success. Now I am looking forward to next year's tournament even more."
EUROPEADA will take place from 28 June to 7 July 2024 under the motto "between the seas" in the German-Danish border region. 27 men's and nine women's teams will then play for the title – parallel to the "big" UEFA European Football Championship in Germany – at a total of 13 venues in Denmark and Germany, including Flensburg/Flensborg, Sønderborg/Sonderburg, Tönning/Tønning and Eckernförde/Egernførde. The Danish minority in Germany, the German minority in Denmark as well as the Sinti and Roma and the Frisian minority in Schleswig-Holstein make up the quartet of hosts.
In addition, the budget committee of the German Bundestag has decided to stop a number of savings for minorities and the regional language Low German that were planned in this year's budget. Specific cuts for FUEN and the minority research centre ECMI were also withdrawn.
FUEN is the founder and coordinator of the tournament and organises EUROPEADA together with the local organisers. Previously, the European Minority Football Championship was held in Graubünden/Switzerland (2008), Lausitz/Germany (2012), South Tyrol/Italy (2016) and Carinthia/Koroška, Austria (2022). The tournament is a major sporting event that combines fair competition and the excitement of a sports festival with the matters of the autochthonous, national minorities.
Further information about EUROPEADA at www.europeada.eu
Credit title photo: Pixabay
- Experts gather to discuss ways forward for minority protection at FUEN’s conference in Brussels
- The first meeting of the Working Group of Hungarian Communities in FUEN was held in Lendava, Slovenia
- FUEN’s Working Group of Hungarian Communities holds its first working meeting in Slovenia
- Transforming a vision into reality: Minority Monitor presents the Bijeljina Minority Commissioner
- EUROPEADA 2024: The game schedules are now available
- Официальный представитель FUEN, Халит Хабип Оглу, встретился с Генеральным секретарем Организации тюркских государств Омуралиевым
- Minority Calendar 2024: FUEN invites you on a culinary journey through Europe's minority cuisines
- FUEN’s European Dialogue Forum meets Council of Europe leaders, Members of the European Parliament in Strasbourg
- Minority interests taken into account in the European Parliament’s report on geo-blocking
- Let's get loud to mute hate! Campaign against hate speech