Hungarians in Slovakia join in12.03.2013
In a meeting between the chairman of the Hungarians in Romania, Hunor Kelemen, the chairman of the party of the Hungarians in Slovakia (MKP), Jószef Berényi, and the chairman of the National Council of the Hungarians in Slovakia, László Szigeti, cooperation was asserted.
The meeting took place in Dunaszerdahely / Dunajská Streda / Neumarkt in Slovakia. It was also attended by Gyula Winkler, Member of the European Parliament.
Both minorities are represented in the European Parliament. That means that the citizens’ initiative for the minorities in Europe – an idea that was started by FUEN and its member organisations RMDSZ and SVP and by YEN – was able to embrace another, important ally.
MKP is The Hungarians in Slovakia will take part in the citizens’ initiative for the minorities in Europe and will join us at the launch this summer where the message will be: collecting 1 million signatures for diversity in Europe.
the party of the Hungarians in Slovakia. In Slovakia there are around 500,000 Hungarians, that is approximately 9% of the total population.
FUEN-President Hans Heinrich Hansen is very pleased with the newest partners in the European citizens’ initiative: “The words of the prime-minister of Slovakia, Mr Fico, badmouthing the influence of the minorities lately, show that we have still a lot of work to do on the European level. With the citizens’ initiative we want to generate solidarity among the minorities, but also pressurise the EU and the member states to support the cause of the minorities”, said Hansen.
COMMUNIQUÉ DE PRESSE
- From the Hofburg to the Three-Country Corner - the annual meeting of the Slavic minorities at the Burgenland Croats in Austria
- Minority language promotion projects in practice and on location
- How do minorities live in large metropolises? Slavic communities meet in Vienna
- Communities between true cultural tourism and clumsy marketing gimmick
- Opening of the Forum of European Regions in Ireland: Language means money
- The quest for minority rights in the EU continues
- German minorities at the heart of German minority policy: AGDM Annual Conference starts today in Berlin
- EUROPEADA 2024: Four minorities in the German-Danish borderland set sail for football event "Between the Seas"
- When new worlds open up - WG Education's annual conference provided inspiration and exciting perspectives
- AGSM members to meet in Vienna and Burgenland