European Elections 201431.05.2014
According to estimations by the European Commission there are forty million people - out of around 505 million – who are part of a national minority or who are speaking a regional or minority language; that is approximately 8 percent of the population.
Accordingly there “should be” about 60 MEPs out of the total number of 751 representatives who speak a regional or minority language or who belong to a national minority / ethnic group.
Some years ago the members of FUEN founded a “European Dialogue Forum” in order to work together with the European Parliament. In terms of substance the European citizens’ initiative – Minority SafePack Initiative – plays a determining role. The political demands of the FUEN members have also been laid down in programmatic declaration and were summarised into its key points with the “Minority Manifesto” that was adopted at the 2014 Congress.
Apart from being a strong civil society movement, FUEN is also becoming more and more a political alliance, with members who run for the European elections.
The Presidium of FUEN together with President Hans Heinrich Hansen would like to congratulate all the elected MEPs and is looking forward to the cooperation in the upcoming years in the European Parliament.
COMMUNIQUÉ DE PRESSE
- Appeal filed against the lower court decision on the Minority SafePack
- The Minority Monitor presents the case of the forced assimilation of the Russian minority in Estonia
- FUEN’s views on diversity management presented at the Western Balkans regional conference in Skopje
- JOB OPENING: Social Media Manager (m/w/d) for the Working Group of German Minorities
- Minority SafePack: the Citizens’ Committee is set to appeal the General Court’s decision
- JOB VACANCY: FUEN Political Officer in Brussels
- JOB VACANCY: Secretary (m/f/d) for FUEN at the office in Berlin or Flensburg
- Negotiations with the Commission: FUEN campaigns for borderless film and TV services
- How equal are minority organisations? FUEN study on the project "Women of Minorities" presented
- The European Council’s President supports FUEN`s Main Resolution on Ukraine