Conference on Language Rights03.12.2013
From 5.-7. December 2013 a conference on „Substance and Practice of European Language Rights“ will take place in Cottbus/Chóśebuz (Germany).
Language rights are a key element of European minority protection. For that reason these rights play an important role both in the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities and also in the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages. Both treaties of the Council of Europe entered into force in 1998 and for both treaties a monitoring procedure was introduced that monitors and evaluates the implementation of the obligations by the signatory states.
After 15 years of experience we should strike a first balance: in what state are language rights in Europe? What are the weak points that can be noticed, in the treaties and/or in practical implementation? Did monitoring proof its value? How can it be made more effective, how can its impact on national minority legislation be strengthened? Do the (language) minorities have sufficient resources to participate in the procedure? Are the Council of Europe and the EU coordinating their policies? What is the relation between the European level and the national or regional minority- and language policies? The conference will bring together experts and representatives of the administration, regions and minority organisations, in order to discuss the perspectives for further development of the legal protection for minority and regional languages.
The event is organized by the Council of Europe, the Sorbian Institute, Hamburg University, and the Federal Union of European Nationalities (FUEN).
- From the Hofburg to the Three-Country Corner - the annual meeting of the Slavic minorities at the Burgenland Croats in Austria
- Minority language promotion projects in practice and on location
- How do minorities live in large metropolises? Slavic communities meet in Vienna
- Communities between true cultural tourism and clumsy marketing gimmick
- Opening of the Forum of European Regions in Ireland: Language means money
- The quest for minority rights in the EU continues
- German minorities at the heart of German minority policy: AGDM Annual Conference starts today in Berlin
- EUROPEADA 2024: Four minorities in the German-Danish borderland set sail for football event "Between the Seas"
- When new worlds open up - WG Education's annual conference provided inspiration and exciting perspectives
- AGSM members to meet in Vienna and Burgenland