Symposium “Minorities and ethnic groups in urban areas”28.11.2014
Simposij “Manjine i narodne grupe u urbanoj sredini”
On the occasion of the 80th anniversary of the Burgenland Croatian Cultural Association in Vienna, 50 years of the House at Schwindgasse 14 and the 20th anniversary of the Croatian Centre.
in the Hrvatski centar / Kroatischen Zentrum / Croatian Centre in Vienna
The main question will be: what does the urban environment mean for the existence of an ethnic group? What was/is needed in order to maintain, foster and develop language and culture, also in a large city? What are the (legal) conditions that were required? Are there any similar examples among other minorities and ethnic groups in Europe? What is the relation between “old” and “new” minorities in the urban area (more concretely: in Vienna) – are there similarities and differences?
Also FUEN will be represented at the symposium: former FUEN Vice President Heinrich Schultz will welcome the guests on behalf of FUEN and give a speech about the subject of minority protection in Europe.
FUEN looks forward to a successful conference!
- From the Hofburg to the Three-Country Corner - the annual meeting of the Slavic minorities at the Burgenland Croats in Austria
- Minority language promotion projects in practice and on location
- How do minorities live in large metropolises? Slavic communities meet in Vienna
- Communities between true cultural tourism and clumsy marketing gimmick
- Opening of the Forum of European Regions in Ireland: Language means money
- The quest for minority rights in the EU continues
- German minorities at the heart of German minority policy: AGDM Annual Conference starts today in Berlin
- EUROPEADA 2024: Four minorities in the German-Danish borderland set sail for football event "Between the Seas"
- When new worlds open up - WG Education's annual conference provided inspiration and exciting perspectives
- AGSM members to meet in Vienna and Burgenland