Happy 2022 with the FUEN Photo Calendar!01.01.2022
Each year, FUEN celebrates the new year, and then each new month with its FUEN Calendar. This year, the main theme of the calendar is contemporary painting, so each month we present contemporary artists’ works from a different minority. First up, for the month of January: the Frisians from the Netherlands.
Ice skating competitions have been organised in every self-respecting village or town in Fryslân since time immemorial. The most famous regional race, "de Friese Elfstedentocht ", has been held for more than 100 years. For the painting "Dwers troch Akkrum" (engl. Across Akkrum), artist Rens Hoekstra was inspired by a skating race in her village, organised every year by many volunteers and followed by inhabitants from far and wide, if the frost allows it. Unfortunately, this happened in 2012 the last time.
The Frisians have lived for several thousand years in the territory of what is now the Dutch province of Fryslân and belong to the Frisian ethnic group, whose settlement area extends as far as northern Germany. The common language, West Frisian, makes up a considerable part of their identity. In the province of Fryslân, about 65% of the inhabitants speak West Frisian in addition to the standard Dutch language.
To find out more about the artist and the Frisians, check out the FUEN Calendar 2022: https://bit.ly/FUENkalender2022
- From the Hofburg to the Three-Country Corner - the annual meeting of the Slavic minorities at the Burgenland Croats in Austria
- Minority language promotion projects in practice and on location
- How do minorities live in large metropolises? Slavic communities meet in Vienna
- Communities between true cultural tourism and clumsy marketing gimmick
- Opening of the Forum of European Regions in Ireland: Language means money
- The quest for minority rights in the EU continues
- German minorities at the heart of German minority policy: AGDM Annual Conference starts today in Berlin
- EUROPEADA 2024: Four minorities in the German-Danish borderland set sail for football event "Between the Seas"
- When new worlds open up - WG Education's annual conference provided inspiration and exciting perspectives
- AGSM members to meet in Vienna and Burgenland