Alsace and Transylvania have a lot in common15.03.2013
There is a lot that Alsace and Transylvania have in common. That became clear in a meeting in the European Parliament lately between MEP Iulius Winkler from the Hungarians in Romania (Democratic Alliance of Hungarians in Romania) and the representatives of the Alsatians, Andrée Munchenbach (president of the regional party “Unser Land”) and Robert Joachim (vice-chairman of Elsass-Lothringischer Volksbund).
The reason for the exchange of views, in which also FUEN-director Jan Diedrichsen participated, was the “European citizens’ initiative – one million signatures for diversity in Europe”.
Both Romania and France are states with a strong centralised character. In Romania – said Winkler – the planned territorial reform of the regional authorities threatens the existence of the two Hungarian majority counties. The Alsatians have been fighting for years for more autonomy and for self-government according to their own interests, including the wish to maintain their own language, culture and identity.
The “European citizens’ initiative – one million signatures for diversity in Europe”, started by FUEN, the Hungarians in Romania and the South Tyroleans, was discussed, including the possibilities for cooperation.
“I think it is a very exciting project and we will discuss it internally. We have to consider if we can also bring other regionalists from France on our table and can jointly support the initiative in France”, said Andrée Munchenbach after the meeting.
The citizens’ initiative already works closely together with its cooperation partners in Brittany.
Press release in German
- The South Tyroleans and Carinthian Slovenes win the European Championship titles of the 4th EUROPEADA
- When Sorbs and Cimbrians sing the Carinthian Slovenes’ anthem – Europeada Culture Day provides many goosebump moments
- Må fair play og det bedste hold vinde! EUROPEADA 2022 i Kärnten/Koroška er officelt skudt igang
- Støttende budskab fra UEFA's præsident til EUROPEADA
- Ny udstilling viser FUEN's historie
- "Europeada bør skrive historie"
- Uddannelseseksperter udveksler synspunkter om en onlineplatform rettet mod undervisningen for mindretal
- Ladinerne i Belluno og ungarerne i Slovakiet var gæster hos Intergroup for mindretal
- EUROPEADA 2022: Program og spilleplan er på plads.
- "Jeg er stolt af at være en Sinto" - Film om mindretal i det tysk-danske grænseland fejrer premiere i kompetencenetværket for mindretal