"Exemplary, but not without challenges": FUEN takes a stand on the situation of minorities in Schleswig-Holstein in the European Affairs Committee07.02.2022
Praise is not necessarily part of the basic tone of political meetings. All the more surprising, therefore, were the predominantly positive words in the European Affairs Committee of the Schleswig-Holstein Landtag, which took place in virtual form on 2 February. Once again, the exemplary quality of the minority policy in the northern German state became clear in this context. Vice-President Gösta Toft represented the FUEN in the committee.
The state government presented the Minority Report 2021 (see also FUEN communication of 02.11.2021), the Report on language competence in the minority and regional languages in the state service as well as an Evaluation of the law on the implementation of the constitutional mandate to strengthen national minorities and ethnic groups.
"The report shows how much effort and commitment the state of Schleswig-Holstein puts into minority policy," Gösta Toft emphasised in the subsequent oral hearing, at the same time expressing his gratitude for the good cooperation. For the future, he recommended further promoting international cooperation and especially cooperation in the Baltic Sea region.
Despite all the praise, he also addressed the challenges: In his estimation, these lie in the areas of education, especially teacher training, as well as media presence. "Creative projects and campaigns to revitalise endangered languages should be promoted," he said, referring to a successful project in Wales where the number of speakers of Gaelic could be significantly increased.
- The South Tyroleans and Carinthian Slovenes win the European Championship titles of the 4th EUROPEADA
- When Sorbs and Cimbrians sing the Carinthian Slovenes’ anthem – Europeada Culture Day provides many goosebump moments
- Let fair play and the best win! EUROPEADA 2022 officially opens in Carinthia
- UEFA President's message of support for EUROPEADA
- New exhibition shows the history of FUEN
- "The Europeada should write a piece of minority history"
- Education experts exchange ideas via online platform for minority education
- The Ladins in Belluno and Hungarians in Slovakia were the guests of the Minority Intergroup
- EUROPEADA 2022: Programme and match schedule are set
- "I am proud to be a Sinto" - Film about minorities in the German-Danish borderland celebrates premiere in the Minority Competence Network