FUEN webinar on national minorities in European censuses16.06.2021
2021-22 are crucial years from the perspective of minority communities: in 39 European countries censuses will take place. FUEN therefore organises a Webinar on National Minorities in Censuses in Europe on Tuesday, the 22nd of June from 15:00 CET.
Why are national censuses so important for many minorities? Deciding the size and share of the nationality or minority is an essential part of population censuses in many countries. The composition of nationalities in the population is relevant for policy making and is often a prerequisite for the recognition.
The more people state a certain nationality or minority, the higher the influence of this national minority in a municipality, region or country. It determines the official recognition of the size and as a consequence the financial support, education rights and language useof our communities. For example, the right to have schools in a minority language or the right to use the minority language with the authorities often depends on the size and percentage of the minority.
The Federal Union of European Nationalities wants to raise the issue of censuses and their crucial role in determining how many belong to a minority and thus indirectly how they will be treated by the state they live in. During the webinar best practices as well as practices to be avoided are presented by experts in the field, politicians and activists with the experience of arranging censuses.
Only registered people will be allowed to take part in the webinar. For registration purposes please write an e-mail to email@example.com.
- Memory training with FUEN: Do you already know our Minority Memo?
- The South Tyroleans and Carinthian Slovenes win the European Championship titles of the 4th EUROPEADA
- When Sorbs and Cimbrians sing the Carinthian Slovenes’ anthem – Europeada Culture Day provides many goosebump moments
- Let fair play and the best win! EUROPEADA 2022 officially opens in Carinthia
- UEFA President's message of support for EUROPEADA
- New exhibition shows the history of FUEN
- "The Europeada should write a piece of minority history"
- Education experts exchange ideas via online platform for minority education
- The Ladins in Belluno and Hungarians in Slovakia were the guests of the Minority Intergroup
- EUROPEADA 2022: Programme and match schedule are set