After 70 years, minorities get representation in the Bundestag27.09.2021
The party of the Danish and Frisian minority in Schleswig-Holstein, the SSW won a seat in the Bundestag at the elections held on Sunday, 26 September in Germany.
"This is a great success for the Frisian and Danish minority party SSW. To be represented in the Bundestag again after 60 years is a historic moment for us from the Friisk Foriining and a sign of a tolerant German society – and that is a good thing!", said FUEN Vice President Bahne Bahnsen, Chairman of the Frisian Association (Friisk Foriining) after the election results. "This is also a signal to all minorities in Europe to never give up in the political debate!"
This was the first time in 60 years that the SSW, which is represented in the state parliament on Schleswig-Holstein and in many municipal councils, decided to run in the general election, and also the first time in more than 70 years that they managed to win a seat. The SSW’s representative in the Bundestag will be Stefan Seidler from Flensburg. "The SSW can be an independent voice for the minorities, for Schleswig-Holstein and put its finger in the wound if we come up short again," said Seidler to Redaktionsnetzwerk Deutschland.
According to the German election law, minority organisations do not have to pass the 5% threshold, they can become a parliamentary force if they manage to collect enough votes to win a seat.
FUEN congratulates the SSW for the historic win and wishes a successful mandate to newly elected Bundestag member Stefan Seidler!
- The South Tyroleans and Carinthian Slovenes win the European Championship titles of the 4th EUROPEADA
- When Sorbs and Cimbrians sing the Carinthian Slovenes’ anthem – Europeada Culture Day provides many goosebump moments
- Let fair play and the best win! EUROPEADA 2022 officially opens in Carinthia
- UEFA President's message of support for EUROPEADA
- New exhibition shows the history of FUEN
- "The Europeada should write a piece of minority history"
- Education experts exchange ideas via online platform for minority education
- The Ladins in Belluno and Hungarians in Slovakia were the guests of the Minority Intergroup
- EUROPEADA 2022: Programme and match schedule are set
- "I am proud to be a Sinto" - Film about minorities in the German-Danish borderland celebrates premiere in the Minority Competence Network